Wednesday 4 March 2015

Music Video Influences

I researched music videos from various genres on YouTube and created a playlist of the ones I found interesting or that gave me possible influences for my own music video.  







One particular music video I enjoyed was Out My Mind by The Skints.  This music video shows examples of Goodwin's theory, matching the lyrics with visual images within the video.  For example, the line 'I call up my friends' accompanied by a girl holding a giant mobile that says 'Calling John...' towards the singer, and the lyrics 'it's 4am' with another girl holding up a clock showing that time.  This is definitely something I would consider including within my video.





I also think the use of these girls within the music video conforms to Goodwin's theory of voyeurism.  The girls are there to only hold up objects that relate to the lyrics and reiterate the narrative, therefore have no other purpose than to be looked at, and they often look directly into the camera.  This is reinforced by the fact they all have similar make-up on.



Another video that relates to Goodwin's theory is Cough Cough by Everything Everything.  This video is cut in time with the beat and music of the song, generally making it more enjoyable to watch as this means there are quite a lot of cuts to keep it interesting.  I will also consider using similar techniques when I edit my music video.







Furthermore, I found several music videos with engaging narratives and ways these narratives are shown and explained.  The videos that stood out most to me were Sacrilege by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Breezeblocks by Alt-J.

The Sacrilege video shows the narrative in an unconventional way.  It starts with the end and gradually shows how the events happened by repeating the clips yet revealing more each time, with the story working its way backwards.  For example, the couple surrounded by flames, with the next shot showing men pouring gasoline, and then the shot after showing people dragging the girl towards the unconscious man as others place wood around them.







The narrative in the Breezeblocks video is similar as it is also revealed backwards.  However, it consists of longer shots in slow motion, and the shots are literally backwards rather than jump cutting backwards like the Sacrilege video.  A noticeable example is when the women throws the bottle at the man, which misses and smashes against the wall.









These narratives compel you to watch the videos and find out what has happened and the reasons for the end result which is shown at the beginning of the video.  They also often change your views of the people within the videos as more is revealed.

No comments:

Post a Comment